WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, have announced their 2017 Protected List.
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish, provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players' Association, which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed an SPC in 2016-17 with the Member, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2016-17, and was recalled to the NHL/AHL or IIHF team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a Qualifying Offer last summer for the current Season, DID NOT sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the Member or League, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2016-17 Regular Season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL Retirement Form, and has not been traded or released.
The Wheeling Nailers Protected List consists of the following 25 players:
This is the first key date for ECHL teams in June. The next key date will be June 13th, when all Future Consideration trades must be completed. Then, on June 15th, all teams must submit their Season-Ending Roster.
The Nailers will begin the 2017-18 season with a two-game series at Greenville on October 13th and 14th. The home opener will take place on October 21st at 7:05, when Wheeling hosts the Cincinnati Cyclones. For more information on tickets, call the Nailers at (304) 234-GOAL.